10 reasons why the Mediterranean diet is the best | IbizaFoodie
For centuries it is known that the Mediterranean diet is one of the best in the world. But have you ever wonder yourself why? In the next post we are going to give you 10 reasons why the Mediterranean diet is so appreciated.
1. This diet minimizes any consumption of unhealthy food ingredients as: sugar, salt, white flour or butter.
2. Is a full of antioxidants diet due to the high consumption of fruits, vegetables, spices and small amounts of wine.
3. Contains the greatest contribution of monounsaturated fatty acids (omega 9 and 3 from olive oil, nuts and oily fish) than any other diet. These acids decrease cardiovascular risks.
4. Hardly harmful oils such as palm oil, soy and corn oil are not used.
5. Is a high fiber supply diet .Fiber helps us with cholesterol issues cause it lowers “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and increases the “good one” (HDL).
6. Reduces by 30% type 2 diabetes due to low intake of sugars.
7. Improves mental health because this diet leads to perform certain social exercises like: sharing food, spend more time preparing meals or eating more at home.
8. Consumers of this diet have a low risk for obesity.
9. Increases life expectancy because of a high consumption of fruits and vegetables.
10. Reduces the risk of breast cancer. It has been shown that the direct consumption of this diet is associated with reduced endogenous estrogen levels, causing increased risk for the disease.