A guide to food portioning! | IbizaFoodie
Don’t you enjoy sitting down to a lovely meal? Well, at Ibiza Foodies we certainly do. But no matter how passionate you feel about food, portion control is something we should never forget.
A recent study, conducted by the University of North Carolina, shows that during the last 40 years, we’ve added 570 calories to our daily diet. The main reason for the increase is that we keep choosing larger food servings – XL has now become the norm for most.
We acknowledge how difficult it is to make the right food choices. For that reason, we’ve put together a few tips to make things easier for you:
- Read the label. Although calorie counting might become a dangerous obsession, using labels as a source of information is always a smart decision. Remember to focus on the number of servings and the ingredient list, instead of just looking at the calorie count.
- Use your own hand to measure food portions. The serving size for cooked grains like rice or pasta is the same as the volume of your fist, but with cheese, you should use your thumb as a reference.
- Stop serving food at the table. When we leave the pan in the kitchen, deciding to go for a second helping of the meal is less likely. Removing temptation will allow you to focus things like the ongoing conversation.
- Share your dish. At restaurants, serving sizes are bigger than at home. To avoid overeating, opt for a lighter entrée -like a salad- and split the main meal with someone else.
- Ditch the big plates. We know that you’ve been using them for ages and that now, you could never imagine your life without them… just kidding. But seriously, it’s time to renew your tableware and the smaller the plates, the smaller the food servings will be.
Have you got any tricks to help control the amount of food we eat? We’d love you to share them with us!