A traditional and easy recipe: onion soup | IbizaFoodie
The onion soup is one of the most popular soups in Mediterranean cuisine, which is passed from generation to generation.The soup is usually served as the first dish or starter. In addition, it is very light and leaves no feeling of heaviness. Therefore, it may be a good idea for a quick dinner before going to sleep especially in the cold months.
And the best: it’s super easy to do!
- 5 onions
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 liter of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 garlic
- Bread slices
- Grated cheese
- Black pepper
- Peel the onions and cut them in half. Then, split these halves into thin sheets, julienne type. Cut as well the garlic.
- In a thick-bottomed pot, heat the oil and butter.
- When the butter melts and blends with the oil, add the garlic, the cut onions, a little salt and black pepper.
- Cook everything over medium-low heat. The onions have to have a slightly golden tone. Be careful with the heat to not to burn the onions.
- When the onion is well poached, cover it with the broth and let it cook over a low heat for 20 minutes so that the flavors like together.
- While the soup is cooking, toast the slices of bread.
- When the soup is ready, serve it in a deep dish. Put inside a slice of bread, sinking it a little in the soup and put some grated cheese on top.
- Just before serving, put the soup in the oven for few minutes so the cheese melts and then serve immediately.
¡Enjoy your meal, Foodies!