Traditional recipe of "Escudella i carn d'olla" | IbizaFoodie
One of the traditional recipes most popular for Christmas is the so-called Christmas broth.
The broth is perfect for cold winter days. It´s about the small pleasure of getting back home freezing and warming up with a cup of broth – slurp it while watching the favorite program and noticing how the broth warms up the whole body.
Follow the steps:
- A piece of beef rib
- A leek
- A tip of pork rib
- Half cabbage
- A pig’s foot
- A handful of soaked chickpeas
- Spine bone
- A quarter of chicken or chicken
- Two pieces of bacon
- 300 gr of pellets
- Two white and two black sausages
- 4 potatoes
- 150gr of minced beef
- 2 carrots
- Bread crumbs
- A branch of celery
- 1 chopped garlic
- A parsnip
- A turnip
- For the broth you have to put all the meat in a pot with cold water, except for the butifarras and the minced meat.
- Let it boil for an hour and add the chickpeas. After another hour add the vegetables except the potatoes. You have to respect the cooking times of each ingredient that is added to the broth so that everyone is at their point.
- While everything is boiling, we can prepare the pilota: a mass of meat that is added to the broth to flavor it with the minced beef, the bread crumbs, the garlic, the parsley, the pepper, the egg and the salt, all mixed together.
- After another hour of cooking, add the potatoes, the butifarras, the floured pilota and a little salt.
- Let simmer for half an hour more and separate the broth from the vegetables and meat, to boil only the broth with the ‘galets’ filled with some meat from the pilota.
- The soup with the pasta is served as a first course and the vegetables, the legumes and the meat with which the broth has been made, are served as a second.
There are several variations that can be introduced in terms of ingredients that are added to the broth or when serving the dish, but everything depends on the cooking time and, as our grandmothers would say, the love you put in each step.
Enjoy your meal!